Sunday, December 09, 2007

Perfunctory yet inciting remarks!

Words must be well thought about before uttered. I did sympathize with Ms Gibbons when she was jailed in Sudan, but I do not understand her when she expressed fear of being raped in prison.

"I had no justification for thinking that. But that was my worst terror - that they would come in and teach me a lesson by raping me or that they would hit me."


That would have been an interesting headlines "Raped for defaming religion". Shouldn't Ms Gibbons as an academic refrain from throwing such remarks in such a perfunctory fashion?


More here

1 comment:

Ammaro said...

sure, her fears have nothing to back them up, but i guess women fear that in prison. even though she did, i agree with you in the fact that she needn't have thrown that comment about. even though nothing did happen, it brings up expectations in people that something like that 'usually does' happen