Saturday, November 17, 2007

I hate Thanksgiving

Perhaps I do not know the whole history of the discovery of the new lands, other than the naive Indians sloshing through the blue oceanic waters to greet their European killers, but I know for a fact that I hate the celebration behind it.

I hate the colours; brown orange autumn colours. They are depressing to say the least
I hate the food; sweet potatoes? pumpkin? corn bread? It's only the turkey that I can tolerate
But most importantly I despise the fact that people celebrate the killings of the native people of those islands and the main land that the culture is trying to sugarcoat with Thanksgiving.

Thanking my foot! Do the Aussies or the Kiwis celebrate their occupation of Australia and New Zealand? And do we actually need a set-up date to be thankful for what we have? Or is it just a way to justify our consumerist addictions?

No comments: